Friday, December 23, 2005

memoirs of a girl's day out

I had a little girls day out yesterday - went to Bay Street, did a little shopping, watched Memoirs of a Geisha, and had lunch at PF Changs (love the spicy eggplant and ground chicken).

Memoirs was good - I think I would have enjoyed it more had I not read the book first. It's hard for me to enjoy a storyline when I already know what's going to happen, yet this happens to me a lot because I read a ton of books. I read an article about the brouhaha over casting Chinese actresses for the Japanese roles of geishas - but I was a bit thrown off with the movie being filmed in English. I don't mind subtitles - in fact I live by them - I watch EVERYTHING (except the news or talk shows) with captions or subtitles. My household is so noisy that captions allow me to read what I can't hear when the kids are screaming their heads off.

Anyway - the movie did keep with the book's storyline as much as it could. There's a lot of detail in the book that wasn't included in the movie - had they included all the details, it would've been a 4 hour movie. I think they did the best they could -
Ken Watanabe was a good choice as the Chairman, I liked him in The Last Samurai. Gong Li is beautiful, though not as hateful as I imagined Hatsumomo to be. Zhang Ziyi and Michelle Yeoh were both good in the movie as well - Michelle Yeoh was a good pick as the older "sister" Mameha.

I have a lot of movies that I want to see but I don't have the time. Plus with movies turning over to DVD so quickly - it's no biggie... Wedding Crashers comes out on DVD in a few weeks! My list of "want to see" movies:

  • Fun with Dick and Jane
  • The Family Stone
  • King Kong
  • Syriana
  • The Gay Cowboy Movie
  • Munich
  • Rumor Has It
  • Pride and Prejudice (I'll have to watch this on another girls day out or on DVD... ain't no way the hubby will sit and watch this.)

1 comment:

Leslie said...

I can't wait to see Memoirs. . . I have the book sitting on my shelf, but I have yet to read it!

And The Family Stone. . . is SAD! I thought it was a comedy (which it is to an extent!)! Fun with Dick and Jane was funny, and Carrey didn't annoy me like he usually does.