Saturday, December 17, 2005

Nothing mixes better than vanilla and chocolate and yet somehow racial harmony eludes us...



I finally got around to making Martha Stewart's version of Black and White cookies. The cookies came out light and airy, a bit cake-like, and very very good with the frosting. The only complaint I have is that the recipe instructions were not specific enough when it came to shaping the cookies I'm a left brain person, everything is black and white (no pun intended) to me so I follow instructions concisely. The instructions were to "use a 1/4 cup measure to scoop dough 3 inches apart onto prepared sheets" WHICH I DID, but the cookies came out all misshapen. With the second tray I handrolled the cookies into balls so that they would have a perfect circle shape but they had too much of a dome. With the third tray I shaped them into balls then flattened them into disks (the third batch is pictured above). The icing was GOOD. I'm not a fan of royal icing because it's just sugar with no other texture to it - but Martha's icing is a mixture of heavy cream (probably why it's so good) and powdered sugar so there's a creaminess to it.

Next on my to do baking list: French Almond Macaroons (just for Joyce!)

3 comments:

joyce said...

i really wish i could try those -
they look so good. even though i'm banned from sugar - i will make my glucose level go down just so i can try one of your french macaroons!

Leslie said...

Those look yum!

And how did you get the blurred effect on just the edges of the photo? Do tell! :)

a n n e said...

Hey Leslie - it's actually the lens, a 50 mm 1.8 aperture Nikon lens, that picture was shot wide open. I'll send you an email separately. :)