Saturday, December 31, 2005

Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook Conquest #2



I've decided that it will be one of my goals to make every single recipe in Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook. So along with the "Cakes for the Year" goal - I'll be posting everytime I make something from the cookbook. Maybe I should start a bake along blog... something to think about.

My first conquest was the Black and White Cookies. Today I made the French Almond Macaroons - it was actually my second attempt. The first time I made them, I burned them. I didn't read correctly - 300 degrees vs. my interpreted 350 degrees! THEN on top of that I ran out of time to make the Swiss Meringue Buttercream so I just washed it - but today I made a lemon variation of French Almond Macaroons and it was perfect because I made use of all the egg yolks using Alton Brown's Lemon Curd recipe which I added to the buttercream... no left over yolks or whites! The cookies even LOOK like the real macaroons I buy at the bakery.

I left my trusty D70 camera at a relative's house so I'll post pictures later!

2 comments:

joyce said...

very good macaroons! you'll have to make me my own batch after i'm allowed to eat sugar again.

Anonymous said...

Have you attempted the Cocoa Buttermilk Cake yet? I am planning on making it for a party and am looking for comments from anyone whose done it. Thanks.