Friday, March 17, 2006

hawaii... the details

I'm done complaining. On to the details.

We stayed at the Hale Koa hotel for the first 3 nights but had to check out once my Dad checked out because he was our sponsor (military hotel). I initially booked a room at the Ohana East at $159 for the remainder of our trip but thanks to BetterBidding.com I was able to book the Marriott Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa for $155 a night at Priceline! Can't beat a better hotel for a cheaper price!

My sister stayed at the Kahala Hotel (formerly the Kahala Mandarin Oriental) - this was where the wedding took place. The hotel was nice but the location felt boring. I like to people-watch and walk around to shop. The Kahala is very secluded (yet very nice) and probably a good place for honeymooners who want to get away. They even have their own in house dolphins!

Shopping wise, I picked up a book called Hawaiian Lei in Crochet by Roberta Wong and Hawaii's Best Mochi Recipes by Jean Watanabe Hee. (I know you have this Joyce, but I couldn't resist.) I can't wait to get started on a lei - hopefully I'll finish it and it won't sit unfinished next to my cat's disembodied head. I picked up a bunch of shortbread at Honolulu Cookie Company - they have a store inside the Marriott. I'm a Big Island Candies shortbread freak so I was skeptical about yet another Hawaiian shortbread cookie but HCC's cookies are GOOD. My favorite cookies are the fruit ones, especially the pineapple shortbread - you can really taste the pineapple in it. I also picked up coffee (100% Kona of course), the usual chocolate covered mac nuts, Aloha wear for the kids, and a ceramic tile to hang in the house.

Because I really didn't get to enjoy my time in Hawaii (running around for the wedding, the Hilo Hattie children incident, and the stomach flu), I told my husband that we have to go back this summer to make up for it. :)

2 comments:

joyce said...

when you go back in the summer, leave john w/ the 3 kids & teach him a lesson!
steph picked up the crochet book for me too when she was in hawaii. i'll attempt to make one for elsie in june if i don't start getting lazy.

the shim family said...

How funny, I just bought some mochi and Hawaiian shortbread cookies at the market yesterday! I want to go back to Hawaii soon! Btw, welcome back! So happy to read your posts again!