Wednesday, March 15, 2006

"...once it hits your lips it's so good!"

I'm back from my (mis)adventures in Hawaii. I say misadventures because... well... maybe I'll post across a span of a few days on my Hawaii trip, otherwise this will turn into a novel.

The main thing I did in Hawaii? EAT LIKE A FREAKING PIG. I was too busy eating to take pictures of all the goodies I gorged on.


Malasadas from Leonards. I got one of each flavor (filled with custard, chocolate, haupia, guava custard, and banana custard) and the rest cinnamon sugar. My favorite was the guava... OMG it was sooooooooooo good. I am drooling just thinking about it. Haupia came in at a close second. After eating 1 (or 2) plain malasadas I felt sick so I just took a bite of each flavor... now I wish I had the whole dozen here with me so I can finish them off.


On the way to Waimea, we stopped at Giovanni's Shrimp Truck for some scampi.


SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD. That is garlic you see all over the plate. I hate touching food with my hands but I had no problem getting down and dirty to peel all those shrimp. I think I reeked of garlic through the next day.


I also got to try the famous Beard Papa's cream puffs which were sold in the Food Pantry right on Kuhio. I got greedy and got 5 plain and 1 green tea. They were good, but maybe I was expecting too much because of all the hype because after I tried them I thought, "Hmmm. This tastes just like a... cream puff."

We also ate at Sam Choy's Breakfast, Lunch and Crab on Friday night with the family - I had my usual, the poke. I have a March birthday (actually it's today! HPBD2ME!) so they served me up a piece of banana bread pudding with a candle on it.


What else did I eat? Well, at my sister's wedding reception we were all treated to a six course gourmet dinner* at the Kahala Hotel (formerly Kahala Mandarin Oriental hotel.)

Ahi Carpaccio with Walnut Crostini

Sweet Kahuku Corn and Lobster Chowder

Pan Roasted Onaga

Champagne Sorbet

Kiawe Grilled Tenderloin of Beef

Warm Seasonal Berry Tart

Freshly Brewed Kona Coffee

Tropical Tango Wedding Cake - Vanilla Cake with Lilikoi and Mango Filling
*This doesn't include the appetizers either (assorted tropical fruits and cheese and smoked chicken and papaya on crostini).
Yesterday before we headed back to the airport, we had breakfast at Rainbow Drive-In on Kapahulu. Kids had the pancakes and french toast (both VERY good, pancakes were fluffy, hot and fresh), Hubby had the breakfast special (eggs, rice and your choice of meat, which in his case is always hamburger steak with gravy), and I had the fried rice with eggs. After breakfast, I saw that Zippys was right down the street so I ran in and bought Napples of each flavor (chocolate, coconut, apple, blueberry/cream cheese and cherry).
I was afraid to weigh myself when I got home, but I expected the worse (+ 3-5 lbs) and was ok with the +1.5 lbs. I'll work it off now that I'm back!

5 comments:

joyce said...

happy birthday anne!!!
wow, i wish i could eat all those sweets. i want to go to hawaii now.

the shim family said...

HAPPYBIRTHDAYTOYOUHAPPYBIRTHDAYTOYOU! Darn it, my Bloglines didn't notify me of your new posts until this morning! So, HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY ANNE! Your post made me really hungry! Giovanni's...yummy...the best!

Sweet Treat said...

I don't think my comment worked last time! But... Happy Birthday Anne! And... that guava custard looks sooooo YUM! I have never heard of it before! Tiff

Nanette said...

Awesome! And happy (belated) birthday!

My fiance and I were just talking last night about when we go on our honeymoon, we'd like to make sure we get in some workout time to ensure we don't come back a size larger than when we left! Our hotels have nice fitness centers and we plan to do lots of hiking/bike riding, especially if we're going to endulge in all the FABULOUS food Hawaii has to offer! (And all the fun fruity drinks!!!)

Unknown said...

Happy happy birthday! I had no idea! I hope you have a great start to your new year and i can't wait to hear more about your trip!
wisheschoice