Thursday, November 03, 2005

Welcome to America!

I finally saw "Crash" - and Oprah talked on her show about "Crash moment" with Hermes and it got me thinking to one time when I applied for a job. Mind you, I have dark hair and slanted eyes, and the woman interviewing me asked if I was legal to work in the United States.
I replied, "Yes."
And she said, "Are you a US citizen?"
"Yes."
"Do you have proof?"
"Yes, my birth certificate. I was born in Guam."
"Guam is not part of the US."
"Actually, I believe it is. I was born on a US Naval Base in Guam. My father is in the Navy."
"Just because you were born on a Naval Base doesn't mean you are a US citizen."
"Actually I believe it does."

Needless to say, I didn't want the job anymore.

Sometimes these "Crash" moments are funny. Take my sister's experience for example, when she was working at a retail store, a customer asked her, "When did you get here?"
"About 10 o'clock this morning."
"No, when did you get HERE to the US? You speak English very well."
"Uh..... I was born and raised in California."

hahahaha.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Unfortunately I can relate all too well to this. Isn't that sad? As much as it pisses me off, I also find moments like these humorous. . .

. . . sometimes people ask me if people in Hawaii speak English. Wa?! Are you serious?!