Thursday, February 02, 2006

January's Cake



I'M BACK!

Here it is... Martha Stewart's Meyer Lemon Anniversary Cake. I made it for my niece's first birthday and it took me about 5 hours not including the time I spent looking for Meyer lemons. I used almost 3 dozen eggs for this cake - mostly separated eggs. The cake itself was VERY tasty, but the lemon curd was way too eggy. The buttercream was yummy (butter + sugar = GOOD). I didn't bother with the candied lemon slices because I was f'ing pooped after laboring over this cake. I know it looks pretty simple but the recipe had lots of steps (cake, lemon simple syrup to brush on the cake, lemon curd, buttercream) and I know a one year old wouldn't care about candied Meyer lemon slices either! The butterflies on the cake are actually rings little ones can put on their fingers (leftover from my daughter's third birthday).

After all that work, I later realized that my cake was the "mess up cake" for the celebrant to stick her face and fingers in while a store bought cake was served to the guests.

4 comments:

joyce said...

wow anne! -- looks great! you have to make me one in july when i can eat some sugar!!

the shim family said...

OMG, I can't believe your cake was the "mess-up" one, I'm sure it was tastier and prettier than the store bought cake! Looks really yummy!

nicbiccie said...

Hi Anne! Just discovered your blog & your cake looks delicious! We are 2 girls from Sydney (Aust) taken on the Martha challenge too! If you're interested, feel free to join our group where everyone can post up pics of their versions of Martha's Year of Cakes: www.flickr.com/groups/yearofcakes
More info on how to participate can be found at our blog:
sweetlittletreat.blogspot.com/

PS) Your other baked goodies look yummy too!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Anne,

I'm just half way through making the whole 3 tier cake for my Grans 90th Birthday - I had a test run on one layer last week and that took about 5 hours. So far I have made the curd, lemon syrup and the second set of three cakes are now in the oven (other 3 are cooling).

I must have done 8 hours so far!!

Jonathan.