Saturday, January 07, 2006

That thing



I have a coworker who has a thing for cows, we even call her "Moo." I met a customer who had a thing for dragonflies - her office was filled with dragonfly paraphenila. Joyce's thing is bamboo. Giao? Gnomes.

The nice thing about having a thing/theme is that when people know what your thing is they automatically think of you whenever they come across your said thing. Whenever I see a dragonfly, I immediately think of that customer I met 5 years ago (and I haven't seen her since). The other day at Borders, I saw a mini garden gnome that immediately made me think of Giao. Whenever I see bamboo plants or bamboo stationery or anything with bamboo on it, I think of Joyce.

I don't have a "thing." The only thing I can offer is pretty lame. MAGNETS AND MUGS. I buy magnets and mugs whenever I visit a new city or place - or sometimes people get magnets/mugs for me whenever they go anywhere. My magnet collection is pictured above. I actually have a lot more magnets than that but they're either broken or they got kicked under fridge and there is no way in hell that I am going to dig under the fridge to get them. The other magnets I didn't include in the picture - I'm sure you don't care about the Poison Control hotline magnet or for the magnet from the local plumber. If you visit flickr, you can see who and where these magnets came from.

No comments: