Saturday, January 14, 2006

material girl


I got around to buying the material for my bridesmaid dress and my daughter's flower girl dress. I got green and coral pink silk dupioni for our dresses, my dress will be coral with a green sash, and the top half of my daughter's dress will be green and the bottom coral. I got it from Thai Silks in Los Altos - but they also sell material on their website. The dupioni was about $13 a yard -- my only other choice was to go to Britex in San Francisco, and everyone says that they're way too expensive.

A dressmaker / seamstress is making the dresses for me -- what she charges is about the same if I bought the dresses retail but on the plus side the dress will be custom fit for me and I won't have to get it altered. I always have to get my bridesmaid dresses altered because bridal shops order the biggest size dress for your biggest measurement and in my case, that would be the bust. My seamstress says that even for "normally" proportioned women, bridal shops are notorious for doing this -- apparently this is another way of making money. Once the dresses are done I'll post pictures, she's a really good seamstress, expensive, but worth it because you can tell her work is well tailored -- her dresses don't look like homemade.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful fabric! I can't wait to see how the dresses turn out. I was laughing at your post because my "smallest" measurement is my bust...hee hee...except when I'm nursing.

a n n e said...

Sally: Yes it's almost an anomaly to be Asian and to have a big bust. Too bad people never confuse my bust with implants though... probably because they have that natural motherhood sag!

Nanette said...

Fun! Can't wait to see how it all comes together. :) Pink and green are the colors for my wedding, too. :)

Leslie said...

Purdy!! Do post the "after" photos. And oh how i love duiponi silk!